Prior to teaching, Steve practiced in the fields of architecture and interior design for more than 10 years for several firms including Gensler. He holds an NCIDQ certification, is a LEED-AP and member of IDEC. His areas of instruction include upper-level undergraduate and graduate design studios, construction systems and Survey of Interior Design. Research areas include emotional intelligence, empathy and systemizing quotient, design pedagogy, and design process. He is sole author of Interior Design Fundamentals and has been honored with an FSU Teaching Award.
B.S. Architecture 2001 Lawrence Technological University
B.S. Interior Architecture 2001 Lawrence Technological University
M.Arch. 2005 Lawrence Technological University
Upper-level undergraduate and graduate studio courses
Survey of Interior Design
Empathy and Systemizing Quotients in design
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Interior Design Educators Council Board of Directors, Director of Teaching (2020-present)
- Neuroscience and Emotional Trait Influences Upon Design Process and Outcomes. AMPS international conference presentation (2020)
- Interior Design Fundamentals. New York: Fairchild Books. (2019)
- Interior Design Fundamentals Instructor’s Guide. New York: Fairchild Books (2019)
- Empathy Quotient: Quantifying the Foundation of Design Thinking. IDEC annual conference presentation (2019)
- FSU Undergraduate Teaching Award (2019)
- Firmwide Interiors Discipline 2019 WebEx Series: TEAMING-UP. Implications of Emotional Intelligence on the practice of design. HOK. (2019)
- College of Fine Arts Teaching Award (2018).
- Maslow’s Eight-Tier Hierarchy of Needs: The Whispering Protagonist of Human-Centered Design. IDEC annual conference presentation (2018)
- Super Villains: Designing for Restraint or Rehabilitation in the Comic Book Universe. IDEC annual conference presentation (2018)
- Service Award, Interior Design Educators Council (2017).
- Emotional Intelligence in the Interior Design Context. Journal of Interior Design, https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/joid.12103/full doi:10.1111/joid.12103, (2017)
- Emotional Intelligence and Peer Perceptions within Interior Design Teams. IDEC annual conference presentation (2017)
- University Teaching Award Nominee, Florida State University (2016-2018).
- The Charrette Design Model Provides a Means to Promote Collaborative Design in Higher Education. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics, and Informatics. Retrieved from https://www.iiisci.org/journal/sci/issue.asp?is=ISS1601. (2016)
- Best Paper in Session, International Institute of Informatics and Systemics (2016).
- FSU IA&D Annual Design Charrette creator and curator (2014-present)
- 2014 KOSES International Invitation Exhibition “Best Award”, Korean Society of Exhibition Design Studies (2014).
- Influencing Construction Systems Pedagogy by Determining Patterns in Learning Styles. IDEC annual conference presentation (2014)
- Pro-Active Multi-Disciplinary Collaboration in Preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse. EDRA annual conference presentation (2014)
- Overcoming the Young Designer’s Bias: Instructional Techniques that Create Fresh Perspectives in Dwelling Design. IDEC annual conference presentation (2013)