Tony Purvis, M.F.A., LEED Green Assoc., Allied ASID is a 2012 M.F.A. graduate of Florida State (Interior Design) who is now serving as a visiting assistant professor and academic advisor in the major. His master’s thesis about the built environment’s role in assisting successful conflict mediation and the identification of criteria for interiors that support positive outcomes for such events has been recognized with two national awards. In addition, Tony consults for Main Street Design in Quincy, FL, and has recently begun working with the School of Theater and the College of Music as a scenic designer.
Areas of Responsibility
Teaching Faculty, Academic Advising and Administrative Support
- 2012 Master of Fine Arts, Florida State University. Major: Interior Design. Supervisor: Dr. Jill Pable.
- Purvis, A. J. (2012). Conflict Resolution and the Interior Built Environment: Design Considerations for Consensus Building. Unpublished master’s thesis, Florida State University. Retrieved from https://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/etd/5122/.
- 1998 Bachelor’s Degree, Florida State University. Major: Musical Theatre Performance. Supervisor: Dr. Gayle Seaton. Magna cum laude.
Survey of Interiors, Creative Problem Solving, Graduate Healthcare Studio, CAD I, Construction Documents, Technical Drawing, Design Fundamentals II, Social/Psychological Aspects of Design.
Conflict Resolution and the Built Environment
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Purvis, A. J., & Pable, J. (2013). Can’t we all just get along? Twelve interior environment aspects that influence the outcome of conflict mediation. In John C. Turpin (Ed.), Interior Design Educators’ Council Annual Conference 2013 (pp. 387-389). Indianapolis, IN. Retrieved from https://en.calameo.com/read/0004368910f57159a340f
- Purvis, A. J. (2013). Eight characteristics of built space supportive to conflict mediation processes. In Jeremy Wells, Ph.D., & Elefterios Pavlides, Ph.D. (Eds.), Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) 44th Annual Conference, Providence, RI (pp. 139-145). Providence, RI: The Environmental Design Research Association. Retrieved from https://www.edra.org/sites/default/files/publications/EDRA44Proceedings_contents.pdf
- Purvis, A. J. (2012). Conflict resolution and the built environment: Preliminary findings exploring the impact of interiors on consensus building. In Marlo Ransdell, Ph.D. (Ed.), Art & Design for Social Justice 2012 (pp. 3 total). Tallahassee, FL. Retrieved from https://interiordesign.fsu.edu/Symposium/
- Purvis, A. (Scenic Designer). (contract). “Cabaret” [Musical Theatre]. [Origination of the work by Kander and Ebb]. [Artistic direction by Thomas Ossowski]. The Lab Theatre, Tallahassee, FL: Florida State University School of Theatre.
- Purvis, A. (Assistant Scenic Designer). (contract). “Romeo and Juliet” [Play]. [Origination of the work by William Shakespeare]. [Artistic direction by Carrie Colton]. Fallon Theatre, Tallahassee, FL: Florida State University School of Theatre.
- Recipient of the national Joel Polsky Academic Achievement Award for outstanding research, American Society of Interior Designers (ASID), 2013.
- Recipient of the Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA) Best Student Paper Award, EDRA44, 2013.