Areas of Responsibility
Undergraduate and graduate teaching; research; service
Jill Pable is a professor in the Interior Architecture & Design Department at Florida State University and a fellow and past national president of the Interior Design Educators Council. She is an NCIDQ-certified interior designer and a WELL accredited professional. Her research focuses on the design of environments for people experiencing trauma and she is the originator of the Design Resources for Homelessness initiative, a research-informed non-profit online information source for architectural designers and organizations creating environments for people who have experienced homelessness. She is the co-author of Sketching Interiors at the Speed of Thought and Interior Design: Strategies for Teaching and Learning and was included in the DesignIntelligence list of 30 Most Admired Design Educators in the United States. She believes that design holds the potential to help people be their best selves.
- B.S. Housing and Interiors, Appalachian State University, Boone NC 1986
- M.F.A. Interior Design, Florida State University, Tallahassee FL 1993
- Ph.D. Secondary Education/Instructional Technology, University of South Florida, Tampa FL 2000
Theory and criticism
Design Issues graduate seminar
Built environments for people experiencing trauma | Homeless shelter design | Interior design teaching and learning
Select Scholarly/Creative Works, Service & Awards
- Design consultations for new and renovation shelter projects in Atlanta, Florida, North Carolina, and Chicago.
- Urban Land Institute Award, Atlanta chapter, institutional category, for Restoration House Shelter project.
- National Book Award, Interior Design Educators Council (2022). For Pable, J., McLane, Y. and Trujillo, L. (2022). Design and Homelessness.
- National Design Luminary Award, American Society of Interior Designers (2021).
- National Chair, International Design Continuing Education Council (2020).
- Project lead for non-profit organization Design Resources for Homelessness (designresourcesforhomelessness.org).
- Media interviews, presentations and citations include the Urban Land Institute, NBC News Online, KCRW Los Angeles Public Radio, KCBS Radio San Francisco, Fast Company, Flipbook, The Conversation, The Independent (UK), Citylab, Vermont Public Radio, Center for Urban Design and Mental Health, Oakland Guardian, and the National Building Museum.
- Pable, J., McLane, Y. and Trujillo, L. (2022). Design and Homelessness. Routledge Publishers.
- Distinguished Teacher Nominee, Florida State University (2020).
- IWBI National Leadership Award, International WELL Building Institute (2019).
- Best National Teaching Presentation, Interior Design Educators Council (2019).
- Dawkins, J., & Pable, J. (2018). Sketching Interiors at the Speed of Thought, second edition. Bloomsbury. https://www.bloomsbury.com/us/sketching-interiors-at-the-speed-of-thought-9781501323133/
- Pable, J. (2018). Shelter design can help people recover from homelessness. The Conversation. https://theconversation.com/shelter-design-can-help-people-recover-from-homelessness-98374
- National Media Award (2017). Interior Design Educators Council.
- Graduate Faculty Mentor Award (2017). Graduate School, Florida State University.
- WELL accredited professional (2017). International Well Building Institute
- Pable, J. B. (2015). Designing for Spirituality. Achieving Health and Wellness through Design (Dak Kopec, editor), New York, NY: Bloomsbury.
- Most Admired Educator 2015, DesignIntelligence, a yearly survey of the Design Futures Council.
- Most Admired Educator (2015), DesignIntelligence, a yearly survey of the Design Futures Council listing the top 30 educators in architecture, interior design and landscape architecture.
- FSU Transformation through Teaching Award (2013).
- 2013 Faculty Award for Distinguished Research, FSU College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance.
- FSU Transformation through Teaching Award, FSU Spiritual Life Project (2012).
- National “Member’s Choice Award”, Interior Design Educator’s Council National Conference (2012).
- Fellow, Interior Design Educators Council (2011).
- President’s Award, Interior Design Educators Council (2011).
- Florida State University Interior Design Educators Council (2011).
- National President, Interior Design Educators Council (2009)
- Ankerson, K., & Pable, J. B. (2008). Interior Design: Practical Strategies for Teaching and Learning. New York: Fairchild Publishers.