Areas of Responsibility
Undergraduate and graduate teaching; research; service
- B.S. Housing and Interiors, Appalachian State University, Boone NC 1986
- M.F.A. Interior Design, Florida State University, Tallahassee FL 1993
- Ph.D. Secondary Education/Instructional Technology, University of South Florida, Tampa FL 2000
Beginning Studio | Lighting | Supervised Teaching | Residential Studio | Theory and Criticism | Thesis Supervision
Built environments for disadvantaged populations | Homeless shelter design | Interior design teaching and learning
Select Scholarly/Creative Works & Awards
- Pable, J. B. (2015). Designing for Spirituality. Manuscript under contract for book Achieving Health and Wellness through Design (Dak Kopec, editor), New York, NY: Bloomsburry.
- Pable, J. B. (in press). Constructing | Connecting | Conveying: A Beginning Studio Student and Instructor Journey of Meaning and Experience. In E. Boling, R.A. Campbell, K.M. Smith, & C.M. Gray (Eds.), Studio teaching in higher education: Selected design cases (15 pages). New York, NY: Rutledge.
- Pable, J. B. (2013). Possessions and the homeless shelter lived experience: the built environment’s potential role in self-restoration. Interiors: Design, Architecture, Culture, 4(3), 267-294.
- Pable, J. B. (2012). The homeless shelter family experience: examining the influence of physical living conditions on perceptions of internal control, crowding, privacy, and related issues. Journal of Interior Design, 37 (4), 9-37.
- Pable, J. B. (2009). Interior Design Identity in the Crossfire: A Call for Renewed Balance in Subjective and Objective Ways of Knowing. Journal of Interior Design, 34(2), v-xx.
- Pable, J. B. (2007). Homeless shelter design: a psychologically recuperative approach. Journal of Interior Design, 32(3), 93-99.
- Ankerson, K., & Pable, J. B. (2008). Interior Design: Practical Strategies for Teaching and Learning. New York: Fairchild Publishers.
- Creator/Facilitator (2015), Design Resources for Homelessness, a non-profit online knowledge resource for interior designers, architects and organizations constructing facilities for the homeless.
- Most Admired Educator (2015), DesignIntelligence, a yearly survey of the Design Futures Council listing the top 30 educators in architecture, interior design and landscape architecture.
- 2013 Faculty Award for Distinguished Research, FSU College of Visual Arts, Theatre and Dance.
- FSU Transformation through Teaching Award, FSU Spiritual Life Project (2012).
- National “Member’s Choice Award”, Interior Design Educator’s Council National Conference (2012).
- Fellow, Interior Design Educators Council (2011).
- President’s Award, Interior Design Educators Council (2011).