Master of Science Advanced Professional
The Master of Science Advanced Professional degree is for you if you possess an undergraduate degree in interior design or architecture and would like to practice interior design with further advanced knowledge of a particular topic of your choice. This degree provides advanced knowledge for interior design practice and is also an acceptable degree for teaching interior design at some colleges and universities (the Master of Fine Arts degree is a second, more lengthy option).
This program consists of a minimum of thirty-two (32) semester credit hours and allows you to complete a Master of Science degree in three terms of Fall/Spring/Summer. The curriculum focuses on the design development of a large-scale or otherwise complex built environment selected by you, and engages you in creating the programming, research, design, construction documents and presentation that fully describes the solution. This professional track course of study also provides opportunities for internship hours and/or other electives courses. You exit the program with a portfolio of work suitable for career interviews.
The Master of Arts degree is also available and includes university requirements for graduate level humanities and language. See the main graduate page for links to the advance professional program.
View a sample of a final project presentation from this program. Airport entertainment concourse final project by Advanced Professional Program graduate Yvonne Thorsen.
View a list of FSU graduates in university teaching and professional practice positions.
Admissions Requirements for the Advanced Professional Master of Science Degree
Admission to the Masters degree programs is based on University requirements as defined in the Graduate Degree Requirements section of the FSU Graduate Bulletin as well as those of the Interior Design Department.
The Department requires the following items in order to be considered for the program. These are submitted to FSU through the FSU online admissions procedure.
- an official undergraduate transcript indicating a minimum 3.0 grade point average on the last 60 hours of the completed undergraduate degree. Download a GPA Calculator Sheet.
- A minimum Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score of 149 verbal and 145 quantitative. If GRE was taken prior to November 2011, minimum scores are 430 verbal and 540 quantitative. Note that GRE scores are one of many factors considered in admittance. PLEASE NOTE: If your undergraduate degree grade point average for the last 60 hours of work is 3.25 or higher, then the Graduate Record Examination requirement is waived.
- Students with English as a second language must meet the university standard of 80 for TOEFL scores or 6.5 for IELTS scores. Students with English language concerns should speak with Dr. Jill Pable, Director of Graduate Studies at email@example.com
- A completed Statement of Interest form that identifies your goals and reasons why you feel you will succeed in graduate school. Download and submit a Letter of Interest for submittal to the FSU online admissions process.
- An undergraduate degree portfolio of student and/or professional design work. Print or digital versions are acceptable. Print versions should be mailed to:
Dr. Jill Pable
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Interior Design
Florida State University
Tallahassee FL 32306-1231
Digital portfolios should be sent via the website:
- Recommendations provided by a minimum of 3 professional or academic persons of your choice that are familiar with you and your previous work. Recommenders respond to the Personal Potential Index system (you provide contact information for these persons so that FSU can invite them to this system via the FSU Admissions process). If you are taking the GRE exam, there is no charge for using this system. If you are not now taking the GRE exam, the cost for this service is $20.
- a phone or in-person interview with the Department Director of Graduate Studies. Contact Dr. Jill Pable, Director of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
The deadline for submittal of an application is July 1st of every year for start of study in the fall semester.
Return to main Graduate Program page.