Master of Fine Arts
The Master of Fine Arts degree is for you if you possess an undergraduate degree in interior design or architecture and wish to teach interior design at the college or university level OR seek professional career enhancement that includes foundation skills in conducting evidence-based design in interior design practice. Evidence-based design involves design practitioners in conducting research to help them create more effective design project solutions and justify these choices to clients.
The Master of Fine Arts program consists of a minimum of sixty (60) semester credit hours including a minimum of six (6) hours of thesis or thesis project. In order to maintain close faculty supervision, only a limited number of candidates are accepted into the MFA program and final determination is made by the faculty Graduate Program Committee. The MFA degree is considered a terminal degree credential by many academic institutions. The program of studies provides many options for elective courses. You can apply these to FSU certificate programs in higher education teaching, project management, museum studies, entrepreneurship or others. Optional internships are highly recommended. You exit the program with a portfolio of work suitable for career interviews.
It is possible to begin study as a First Professional student, then, if accepted by faculty, transfer to the Master of Fine Arts program for advanced study.
See the main graduate page for links to the MFA program of studies.
View a list of FSU graduates in university teaching and professional practice positions.
Admissions Requirements for the Master of Fine Arts Degree
Admission to the Masters degree programs is based on University requirements as defined in the Graduate Degree Requirements section of the FSU Graduate Bulletin as well as those of the Interior Design Department.
The Department requires the following items in order to be considered for the program. These are submitted to FSU through the FSU online admissions procedure.
- an official undergraduate transcript indicating a minimum 3.0 grade point average on the last 60 hours of the completed undergraduate degree. Download a GPA Calculator Sheet.
- A minimum Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score of 149 verbal and 145 quantitative. If GRE was taken prior to November 2011, minimum scores are 430 verbal and 540 quantitative. Note that GRE scores are one of many factors considered in admittance. PLEASE NOTE: If your undergraduate degree grade point average for the last 60 hours of work is 3.25 or higher, then the Graduate Record Examination requirement is waived.
- Students with English as a second language must meet the university standard of 80 for TOEFL scores or 6.5 for IELTS scores. Students with English language concerns should speak with Dr. Jill Pable, Director of Graduate Studies at email@example.com
- A completed Statement of Interest form that identifies your goals and reasons why you feel you will succeed in graduate school. Download and submit a Letter of Interest for submittal to the FSU online admissions process.
- An undergraduate degree portfolio of student and/or professional design work. Print or digital versions are acceptable. Print versions should be mailed to:
Dr. Jill Pable
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Interior Design
Florida State University
Tallahassee FL 32306-1231
Digital portfolios should be sent via the website: https://www.hightail.com/u/JillPable
• A sample of academic writing. This is a 2-3 page excerpt from a college writing assignment that describes your writing style. Ideally, this writing sample includes citations of others’ work within the text. This writing sample is necessary as MFA students will write a University thesis. This sample helps faculty determine the degree of assistance you will need with writing.
• Recommendations provided by a minimum of 3 professional or academic persons of your choice that are familiar with you and your previous work. Recommenders respond to the Personal Potential Index system (you provide contact information for these persons so that FSU can invite them to this system via the FSU Admissions process). If you are taking the GRE exam, there is no charge for using this system. If you are not now taking the GRE exam, the cost for this service is $20.
• A phone or in-person interview with the Department Director of Graduate Studies. Contact Dr. Jill Pable, Director of Graduate Studies at firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
The deadline for submittal of an application is July 1st of every year for start of study in the fall semester.
Return to main Graduate Program page.