Full Time Faculty
- David Butler
- Jim Dawkins
- Kenan Fishburne
- Karen Myers
- Jill Pable
- Marlo Ransdell
- Lisa Waxman
- Steve Webber
Full-Time Visiting Professors
Jill B. Pable
Office: 1035 William Johnston Building
Phone: (850) 645-6831
Commercial interior design, computer-aided design, current issues in interior design.
- PH.D. University of South Florida, Secondary Education, Instructional Technology with Architecture cognate specialization
- M.F.A. Florida State University, Interior Design with College Teaching Certificate
- B.S. Appalachian State University, Housing and Interiors
- NCIDQ passage, 1989
Recent Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity
- Keynote Speaker for the 4th Annual "Power of Design", Appalachian State University, October, 2010. A student workshop for 150 was held, entitled "Hands-On Design Strategies for Collaborative Success" and then an evening keynote lecture entitled "Better Together: Design and Collaboration in the Age of Need". Served as Visiting Scholar. Press release.
- IDEC Merit Award. 2007. For leadership in the IDEC Academy continuing education initiative. International Interior Design Educator’s Council Conference, Austin, Texas.
- IDEC Creative Scholarship/Interior Design “Highest Merit” award. 2007. For research-based design programming for a homeless shelter. International Interior Design Educator’s Council Conference, Austin, Texas.
- IDEC Best Paper Presentation. 2007. “Hand-Produced versus Digital 3D Graphics: Interviews with Design Practitioners.” Interior Design Educators Council South Region Conference. Greensboro, North Carolina.
- IDEC South Region Conference Creative Scholarship/Interior Design First Place award. 2006. For research-based design programming for a homeless shelter. Interior Design Educators Council South Region Conference. Greensboro, North Carolina.
- Florida State University Council for Research and Creativity Small Project Grant: Homeless Shelter Cradle furniture design with Rachelle McClure and Sean Coyne.
- First Year Assistant Professor Grant. 2006. Summer funding for descriptive analysis study to understand attitudes of design practitioners and educators towards quick three-dimensional sketching in ideation and communication.
- Service Learning Grants. 2004-2005. For collaborative interior design/graphic design/photography project proposing a visioning design solution for the Sacramento Salvation Army homeless shelter. Also project “Wall of Hope”, an interior design/graphic design initiative creating design and construction documents for a changeable inspiration wall telling success stories of overcoming homelessness.
Homeless Shelter Design: A Psychologically Recuperative Approach (2007). IDEC Design Awards. Journal of Interior Design 32(3), 93-96.
Interior Design: Strategies for Teaching and Learning (book). With Katharine Ankerson. Reference book on instructional and learning strategies for interior design instructors.
Sketching Interiors at the Speed of Thought. 2003. 300-screen CD-ROM and 200 page workbook offering 15 interactive sketching scenarios. With video demonstration, audio and digital documentation of learner practice. Fairchild Publications.
Periodical article, “A Rebuttal: Licensing is in Hospitality Designer’s Interest”. 2001. Newsletter of the Network of Executive Women in Hospitality.
- Research Presentation. “Quick Three-Dimensional Sketches: Educator and Practitioners’ Use, Personal Competency, and Perceptions of Interior Design Student Preparedness”. 2007. Interior Design Educator’s Council International Conference, Austin, Texas.
- Teaching presentation, “Quick Perspective Sketching Demystified”. 2005. Neocon West Conference, Los Angeles.
- Teaching presentation, “The Situational Environment: A Student Project Exploring Mahnke’s Theory of Synesthesia.” 2004. Interior Design Educator’s Council Pacific West Regional Conference, Tempe, Arizona.
- Research presentation, “Automaticity learning theory: a means to better, faster concept sketching.” 2004. Design Communication Association Conference, San Luis Obispo, California.
- 2009-2010 President, Interior Design Educators Council.
- Chairperson, Interior Design Continuing Education Council task force
- Developed and facilitated 2008 Graduate Field Trip to Atlanta.
- CIDA accreditation site team visitor. 2004-present.
- Reviewer, Journal of Interior Design. 2004-present.
Memberships in Professional Organizations
Interior Design Educators Council, member, 1990 – present.
Fellow status, 2011.
- IDEC National president, 2009-2010.
- IDEC National secretary-treasurer, 2001-2004.
- IDEC Academy coordinator, 2005-2007.
- International Interior Design Association, professional member, 1996 – present.
- International Association of Lighting Designers, educator member, 2003 – present.
- American Society of Interior Designers, professional member, 1989 – 1996.
Academic/ Professional Interests
Interior design education and learning, social responsibility in design, sustainability