Jill B. Pable
Jill B. Pable
Office: 1035 William Johnston Building
Phone: (850) 645-6831
Studio, Lighting, and Interior Design Teaching Preparation
- Ph.D. University of South Florida, Secondary Education, Instructional Technology with Architecture cognate specialization
- M.F.A. Florida State University, Interior Design with College Teaching Certificate
- B.S. Appalachian State University, Housing and Interiors
- 2013 Faculty Award for Distinguished Research, FSU College of Visual Arts, Theatre, and Dance
- FSU Transformation Through Teaching Award, FSU Spiritual Life Project (2012)
- National “Member Choice Award” for academic presentation, Interior Design Educators Council National Conference (2012)
- Best Teaching Forum Presentation, Interior Design Educators Council South Regional Conference (2011)
- President’s Award, Interior Design Educators Council (2011)
- Undergraduate Teaching Award, Florida State University (2011)
- First Place Mini-Vignette Design Competition, Socio Design Foundation (2009)
- IDEC Merit Award for leadership in the IDEC Academy (2007) for work on continuing education.
- IDEC Creative Scholarship/Interior Design “Highest Merit” Award (2007) for Research-based design programming for a homeless shelter.
- IDEC Best Paper Presentation, Interior Design Educators Council South Regional Conference, Greensboro, NC (2007) for “Hand-Produced versus Digital 3D Graphics: Interviews with Design Practitioners”.
- IDEC South Regional Conference Creative Scholarship/Interior Design First Place Award (2006) for research-based design programming for a homeless shelter.
- Florida State University Developing Scholar Award (2011) for research project on homeless shelter bedrooms.
- Florida State University Council for Research and Creativity Small Project Grant: Homeless Shelter Cradle furniture design with Rachelle McClure and Sean Coyne.
- First Year Assistant Professor Grant. 2006. Summer funding for descriptive analysis study to understand attitudes of design practitioners and educators towards quick three-dimensional sketching in ideation and communication.
- Service Learning Grants. 2004-2005. For collaborative interior design/graphic design/photography project proposing a visioning design solution for the Sacramento Salvation Army homeless shelter. Also project “Wall of Hope”, an interior design/graphic design initiative creating design and construction documents for a changeable inspiration wall telling success stories of overcoming homelessness.
- Research on the homeless population: The particular utility of case study methodology. Journal of Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics (2013)
- Possessions and the homeless shelter lived experience: The built environment’s potential role in self-restoration. Interiors: Design, Architecture, Culture (2013)
- The homeless shelter family experience: examining the influence of physical living conditions on perceptions of internal control, crowding, privacy, and related issues. Journal of Interior Design(2012).
- Recommendations for design guidelines for low income housing. (with Lisa Waxman and Marsha McBain. An invited report for the Florida Housing Finance Corporation (2011).
- Interior Design Identity in the Crossfire: A Call for Renewed Balance in Subjective and Objective Ways of Knowing. Journal of Interior Design (2009).
- Social Justice and Interior Design. In State of the Interior Design Profession (2009).
- Homeless Shelter Design: A Psychologically Recuperative Approach (2007). IDEC Design Awards. Journal of Interior Design 32(3), 93-96.
- Interior Design: Strategies for Teaching and Learning (book). With Katharine Ankerson. Reference book on instructional and learning strategies for interior design instructors.
- Sketching Interiors at the Speed of Thought. 2003. 300-screen CD-ROM and 200 page workbook offering 15 interactive sketching scenarios. With video demonstration, audio and digital documentation of learner practice. Fairchild Publications.
- Sketching at the Speed of Thought: Weaving Expertise Theory with Drawing Automaticity. With Jim Dawkins. Presentation at the Drawing Research Network Annual Conference, Drawing Research Network in association with the Teacher’s College at Columbia University and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York (2013).
- Framing the Holistic Post-Occupancy Evaluation: The Potential of the Heath, Safety and Welfare Paradigm. With Kenan Fishburne. Presentation at Interior Design Educators Council National Conference, Interior Design Educators Council, Indianapolis IN (2013).
- Research on the homeless population: the particular utility of case study methodology. In The 2nd International Symposium on Integrating Research, Education, and Problem Solving. Orlando, FL (2012).
- Case Study Research Methodology. Keynote presentation at The 2nd International Symposium on Integrating Research, Education, and Problem Solving, Orlando FL (2012).
- Beyond the final studio presentation: Multimedia project storytelling as portfolio enhancement. Presentation at the annual conference, the Interior Design Educator’s Council, Baltimore, MD (2012).
- Keynote Speaker for the 4th Annual “Power of Design”, Appalachian State University, October, 2010. A student workshop for 150 was held, entitled “Hands-On Design Strategies for Collaborative Success” Evening keynote lecture entitled “Better Together: Design and Collaboration in the Age of Need”. Served as Visiting Scholar. Press release.
- 2009-2010 President, Interior Design Educators Council.
- Chairperson, Interior Design Continuing Education Council task force
- Developed and facilitated 2008 Graduate Field Trip to Atlanta.
- CIDA accreditation site team visitor. 2004-present.
- Reviewer, Journal of Interior Design. 2004-present.
Memberships in Professional Organizations
- Interior Design Educators Council, member, 1990 – present.
Fellow status, 2011.
- IDEC National president, 2009-2010.
- IDEC National secretary-treasurer, 2001-2004.
- IDEC Academy coordinator, 2005-2007.
- American Society of Interior Designers, professional member, 1989 – 1996, 2011-present.
Academic/ Professional Interests
Interior design education and learning, design and social betterment.